Kampala arts trust is a collective of visual and performance arts practitioners living and working in public and private spaces within the precinct of Kampala. Kampala Arts Trust is run and managed by a board of trustees who are specialists in the fields of concept development, design, project management, marketing and communication, finance, fundraising and legal. We aspire to make the creative Arts an integral part of Kampala urban culture in order to put it at par with other metropolitan cities of the world.
KART does this by:
- Developing and implementing concepts of public art as a tool for beautifying Kampala city.
- Increasing awareness of the creative arts as a tool for social change through art education in communities and schools.
- Empowering and inspiring practitioners of the creative arts working in Kampala through symposiums and workshops to realize their full potential so as to create self-reliance.
- Promoting Kampala as the contemporary art capital of the region by organizing the Kampala Art Biennale every two years (kampalabiennale.org)
- Documenting visual art activities in Uganda through an online journal (startjournal.org), this is a research resource for all who will ever want to know about art in Uganda.
The board of Trustees
- Simon Kaheru – Chairperson, Media Specialist
- Daudi Karungi – Creative director, Arts manager
- Henry Mzili Mujunga – Artist/Art educator/Art researcher
- Elizabeth Mbabazi Kaggwa – Fashion designer/Art Gallery manager
- Jantien Zuurbier – Creative director Design Hub / Web designer
- Angela Kobel – Lawyer
- Fred Masadde – Public relations and communication specialist